Tony,

I am reminded of an ethics class in college where I was told of the "damned
fool clause" as it relates to product design.  If a damned fool can hurt
himself with the thing, get insurance and write disclaimers!

Jim Tallman, FX Studios.

----------
> From: Tony Moss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Mac Oglesby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: Sundial List <sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
> Subject: Re: Sundials not needing corrections
> Date: Friday, May 14, 1999 4:48 AM
>
> Mac Oglesby wrote:
>
> >  Imagine that - a "dangerous" sundial!
> >
> Before trading with the US my insurers insisted that at least £1m worth
of public liability insurance was essential.

> "A metal spike pointing upwards in a public place with no shielding or
guard rails"
> "Are you quite mad sir?"
>
> and as for my helpful leaflet on how to erect a pedestal for a sundial
>
> "You're advising clients to dig a hole and use tools!! - absolutely
not!!"

> "We suggest that you say that all installation work is done by qualified
tradesmen working to local safety standards and codes etc. etc."