A word of caution here, though.  Some GPS receivers do not update their
displays on the second and so there might be a fraction of a second delay in
the displayed time.  GPS receivers with a 1 pps output provide a pulse on the
second with the timing accuracy mentioned below when the receiver is tracking
satellites.
-- Richard Langley
   Professor of Geodesy and Precision Navigation

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Bob Haselby wrote:

>Fernando, Your GPS is probably as good as it gets as far as time
>accuracy is concerned. However your unit must be tracking or have been
>locked on recently. The internal clock does not have very good long
> term accuracy by itself. Actual time from the gps is accurate in the
>microsecond level. We use gps recievers to syncronize computer networks.
>
>Bob
>
>Fernando Cabral wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> >From time to time I set my watch based on the time given by my
>> Garmin G38. My watch seems quite good in the sense that after
>> several weeks of even months it is showing about the same
>> time the GPS is showing.
>>
>> Nevertheless, I don't know how accurate my GPS is. Is there
>> a "standard" error or deviation or something like this? How precise
>> can I expect my GPS to be?
>>
>> - fernando
>>
>> PS - It does not seem I can tune to any reliable source of  time information
>> here in Bras?lia. Also, I've tried several different programs in my windows
>> environment to set my computer clock according to some of the
>> well-known atomic clocks in the Internet. Nevertheless, it does
>> not seem the software are good enough. I've found difference of up
>> to 25 seconds amongst them.
>>
>> --
>> Fernando Cabral                         Padrao iX Sistemas Abertos
>> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.pix.com.br
>>                                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Fone: +55 61 321-2433                   Fax: +55 61 225-3082
>> 15? 45' 04.9" S                         47? 49' 58.6" W
>> 19? 37' 57.0" S                         45? 17' 13.6" W

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/