> "A.Brown" wrote:
>
> Hi All
> I just wondered what members  in the group think of the latest
> zoneless time concept, Internet Time where the day is broken up
> into beats eliminating the need for geographical based time
> zones. Is it seen as helping to make ours one world or as
> cynical "commercial" exploitation?

More often than not I feel dumber than I'd like to
admit. I have always seen this Swatch issue as one of the
purest form of hype. When I hear anything about "beat" I
see it as snake oil talk.

We already have too many good ideas about time and Swatch time,
in my humble opinion is NOT among them. First of all, I can't
see how it will avoid the "time zone" issue. If it could do it,
we would do better with a 24-hour clock adjusted for (say) GMT
or UTC. And it would have the advantage of allowing quick
and easy fall back to the old "time": it would be only a
matter of each country/county/person "shifting" back or forth
one hour per 15 degrees longitude. Or -- still more precise --
shifting hours, minutes and seconds so every single person
in this world could use both a universal time and a very precise
local time. Perhaps synchronized with the sun (as apposed to
political time).

In fact, that's how UNIX is supposed to work since 1970.
It's clock counts the seconds since midnight of first of
January, 1970. The trick is to make that midnight a UTC (or
GMT) midnight). Than it will offer you a "universal time".
Different applications apply certain rules to convert to
local time. A user can set a "personal" variable named
TZ or TIMEZONE (standards are so good some people have decided
to offer us several of them for the same purpose!).

This way, a single machine, running anywhere in the world,
can provide a time corrected for any other place in the world.

It is very hard to think Swatch "beats" has anything to add
to this simple and effective idea. And has been working for
tens of years.

The Intel machine I use most has maybe the worst clock
ever made. It drifts off by as much as 40 minutes per day!
I don't care. I am connect to the Internet on a permanent
basis so I what I do it to read the time from a very precise
clock at ntp2.usno.navy.mil I have programmed my machine to do
it each 5 minutes (I could have programmed it to do it at any
interval I wished). So, in fact, the clock I see on my screen
appear to be very, very precise.

Now, the time I read is UTC (or is it GMT -- too lazy to check
now). It does not matter. And so is the time my machine's clock
keep. Nevertheless, the software I use for displaying the time
takes my longitude into account and gives me what I want more
often.

So, off with Swatch! It adds nothing but confusion. It creates
nothing, but downgrades previous creations.

- fernando

Fernando Cabral                         Padrao iX Sistemas
Abertos
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.pix.com.br
Fone Direto: +55 61 329-0206            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PABX: +55 61 329-0202                   Fax: +55 61 326-3082
15º 45' 04.9" S  (23 L 0196446/8256520) 47º 49' 58.6" W
19º 37' 57.0" S  (23 K 0469898/7829161) 45º 17' 13.6" W