Arthur Carlson wrote:

> I'm afraid you will have to be meticulous if you don't want to waste your
> time.  (Leaving aside the question of whether the project is likely to be a
> waste of time regardless of how carefully it is done.)

In my opinion you only a project like this is never
a waste of time because in the end you will if something
is fruitful or not. If there is something to learn...
Besides that, if you have an open mind, what can
chance bring to your door? As we say in Brazil, "you may
shoot at what you saw and kill what you didn't see"...
Serendipity lurks...

>If you want to plant
> the seeds outdoors, you will need many (many!) years before you can get
> statistically significant results because you have to control not only for
> the season but also for the weather in each year.

I beg to differ. In spite of the fact that what you say
looks quite impressive and the only way to make it
"scientifically",
I tend to think this i precisely what science should NOT do.

First of all because it is extremely hard to do because
the number of variables to control would tend to infinite.
And each one of them would be likely to assume an ample
range of values. Suffice it to mention a few like
temperature, wind, insolation, rain, air humidity,
irrigation, presence of microorganisms in in soil,
positions of the planets, moon and the sun and the
relations amongst themselves and with the atmospheric
and edaphic conditions...

This is clearly impossible.

On the other hand, if I were to create an artificial
environment where some of the elements could be
under strict control, the experiment would end up
being useless, neither proving nor disproving
anything. For instance, let's say in the end
I notice NO DIFFERENCE among seeds sowed in different
moon ages. What would it prove? Nothing! Or, if I
wanted to force it to prove something I would be
able to say: "in a green house, under precise
control of temperature, pressure, humidity
(a long list of variables) we can draw the conclusion
the the moon does not influence the development
of plants".

And this is regorously useless because no plant
is cultivated like that in a real farm.

Also, it should be noted, IF (and this is a BIG IF)
the moon affects the plants, one thing is finding
that it does (or perhaps it does not); something
completely different is finding HOW it affects...

So, maybe its effects (if any) is due to differences
in the water table; perhaps because microorganisms
(fungi, bacteria, mycelia) are more active or less
active under different moons; perhaps because the
moonlight activates some enzymes or hormone... The
list is endeless.

If I take the experiment to my lab I am bluntly and
blindly presuming that the moon can only affect
plants (IF it really can) through some mysterious
and unknown energy. This CAN be the case, but it is
not necessarily so.

I think this kind of assumptions are too often
taken for granted when they shouldn't. (We can
find things like this in the medical literature,
for instance, when someone wants to demonstrate
that certain drug cures such or such disease.
The double-blind experiments very often do not
prove anything exactly because they exclude
reallity and introduce an artificial environment.

On the other hand, something much simpler may lead
us to much more useful conclusions.

For instance, in this project, imagine that I select
a small piece of land that is relatively flat,
regular and uniform. I prepare the entire piece
for sowing using the same technique that I would
use for normal agriculture.

Now I select a lot of seeds as uniform as possible.
I randomly divide it into 365 smaller lots of
equal size. Say, 20 seeds each.

Starting on January first I sow the first 20 seeds.
>From there on I sow 20 seeds everyday until December
31.

Meanwhile, the whole piece of land as well as the
sowed seeds and plants will have equal influence
from all known and unknown variables. The unknown
being probabily more important.

As I reap each row (a row per day) I can take the
measures I want: appearance, water contents,
nutrients contents, dry weight, plant size,
root size, quantity and weight of pods... whatever
is relevant for that particular plant.

In the end I can -- for instance -- take am average
of each quantity/quality of interest. This will
give me a baseline in a graph. Now I plot, day by
day, the result of each harvest.

It is very likely that I'll have a sinusoid representing
the seasons: in the summer production will be above the
baseline; in the winter bellow the baseline.

That sinusoid may also be "attenuated" at the end, perhaps
representing the hydration or age of the seeds (usually
the older a seed is the less likely it will germinate).

If I have several different plants and varieties (which
is easy enough to do) I can compare the results and confirm
how seasons affects diffents seeds, so on and so forth.

No, back to moon influence. If the moon (and perhaps the
planets and the sun) has any influence, it will be made
clear in a "sinusoid inside a sinusoid". Let's assume
-- just for the sake of argument -- that beans have a
higher yield when sowed in the new moon while it has
the least yield in the waining moon.

Now, if this is the case, as the year wears out from
the first of January to the end of December we will
find a sinusoid peaking (for each moon cycle) in
the new moon and bottoming in the waining moon.

Peaks might be less tall in the winter and taller
in the summer; the valleys might be deeper in the
winter and less deep in the summer. But if the
moon has an influence (as above), we'll still
see its presence in the sinusoid.

Well, if we can't see no changes in the curve
as the days advance and the moon ages (in a
cyclical manner) then we can conclude no influence
exists. Otherwise, we can conclude that there is
an influence and then decide when it is positive
and when it is negative.

The experiment is so simple that we can expect
to be able to do it not only year after year
but also with many different plants. And, with
a little help from interested souls, perhaps
around the world.

And, whatever the results are, they will be valid
for true-to-life agriculture not for white apron,
air-conditioned pseudo agriculture.

I know things like these seem naïve to sophisticated
minds, but it is the
only thing someone simpleminded like me needs to
be kept busy and happy.

Best regards

- fernando

--
REDUZIR, REUSAR, RECICLAR -- Dever de todos, amor aos que virão
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE -- Everybody's duty, love to those who are