"Frans W. MAES" wrote:

> Dear Fernando,
>
> > Arthur Carlson wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm afraid you will have to be meticulous if you don't want to waste
> > > your time.  (Leaving aside the question of whether the project is likely
> > > to be a waste of time regardless of how carefully it is done.)
>
> I see you are getting a bit meticulous (or scientific) already, following
> Arthur Carlson's advice, by sketching a real experimental protocol:

I have it more or less planned. What I described was
a simplified version. When I mentioned I did not want to be
too meticulous I just meant I did not want to be
excessively concerned with details. I am interested
in a very simple answer: "does the moon affect the plant
growth and production or not?".

That means (for the time being) I am not interested on HOW
it works (if it really does work). I am not even interested
in any explanation. I am not interested in a theory about it
either. So this makes things much simpler, I guess.

> Nevertheless, you may be a bit optimistic when stating:
>
> > Well, if we can't see no changes in the curve
> > as the days advance and the moon ages (in a
> > cyclical manner) then we can conclude no influence
> > exists. Otherwise, we can conclude that there is
> > an influence and then decide when it is positive
> > and when it is negative.
>
> You will most probably end up with a very noisy recording, from
> which it is not possible to draw any conclusion with certainty, in this
> case, to see a moon-synchronous component. In that sense you
> would have wasted your time. Maybe you nevertheless had a good
> time playing around, that's ok with me.

You are right... and wrong. If the record is very noisy it
probabily means that either the influence does not exist or,
if it does exist, then it is too small. Well, if it too
small, so small that I can not draw any conclusion with
certainty, then for every and all practical purposes
it is non-existent.

My purpose is very pragmatical and not theoretical:
I just want to know if it is worthwhile for a farmer
to pay attention to the moon cycle. It will only be
if the difference is quite measurable, unmistakable.
Like, say, a 10% yield difference produced in a
consistent manner.

So you are right because the result maybe confusing. You are
wrong because if it is confusing no additional effort
or statistical calculation will be needed: the facts
will have spoken by themselves (for my purpose).

You are also wrong when you say:

> In that sense you
> would have wasted your time. Maybe you nevertheless had a good
> time playing around, that's ok with me.

This remindes me of play about Galileo Galilei when he
was before the inquisition trying to convince the church
that the planets did move. According to the play he
would invite the inquisitors to use his telescope
to see the planets, the stars, the moon and how they
moved in the sky. The inquisitors would respond something
like: "we won't look into this devilish instrument. We've
read the bible, Aristotle and the priests and what you
say is not to be found anywhere. We don't need your
instrument to know you are wrong", so on and so
forth (I am rebuilding the dialog out of my memory
about 30 years after seeing the play so the words
should only give a general idea about what I really
heard on that occasion...)

So, it seems that from time to time we should look
into new ideas. Some times it is the established,
official "knowledge" that is wrong, not folklore
or new ideas.

In the second place, it is not enough to read the bible
or read Aristotle. It is necessary that we use the
telescope. Only after that we can say: "it is not there".
Or, perhaps, "it is there".

So, whatever the result is, it is not a waiste of time.
I will gain some insight into it either confirming
what the ancients used to say or confirming what
most agribusiness expert say about the influence
of the moon.

On top of that -- as you say -- I may also have
some fun sowing, watering, reaping, measuring.
This is a good thing by itself, isn't it?

> Trying to get some return from your (time) investment, you might
> even be tempted to apply one of those debuked statistical
> techniques for discovering rhythmicity in noisy signals. These will - at
> best - only give you an estimated period and phase relationship, at a
> stated probability level <100%. Such results may or may not
> convince you. You are free to believe whatever you like.

No fun here. This arena is dominated by the governments,
universities, pollters, polititians and drug laboratories.
They have a refined technology to do this. And they print
the results in expensive papers or brodcast them via
the established media. I would be only an unskillful
amateur among professionals. I'd have to chance and it...

> More importantly, such statistical results should also convince your
> neighbour, or Arthur Carlson for that sake. That's why we need a set
> of rules about what we should consider "convincing evidence". This is
> a major aspect of the scientific method.

I agree with you. But it seems most people the call themselves
"scientists" are not paying attention to this requirement,
are they?

> But, why not try? "The proof of the pudding is in the eating", as the
> British say. Progress is made by experiment!

Now we are talking the same language again!

Take care.

- fernando

--
REDUZIR, REUSAR, RECICLAR -- Dever de todos, amor aos que virão
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE -- Everybody's duty, love to those who are