On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, fer j. de vries wrote:

> The max. altitude of the sun h = 90 - phi + 23.5 degrees.

This reminded me of something I saw recently, that was a bit of a puzzle:

I live at 37.3N latitude. This puts the mean plane of the Ecliptic at
something like 52.7 degrees elevation. Near the Winter Solstice, the Sun
is 23.5 degrees depressed, or a maximum elevation of 29.2 degrees. I can't
recall offhand what the angle of the Moon's orbit is, relative to the
Ecliptic, but a week or so back, very near full Moon, we came out of a
movie theater late, near midnight. I would swear the Moon was barely 5 or
10 degrees off the Zenith! It seemed hard to imagine, at this time of year
in the North...

Dave
37.29N 121.97W