John Carmichael replied:

>Right now, my little mirror is just inside the window sitting on my
>workbench.  It is so sensitive to small vibrations that the sunspot quivers
>when I play music and when I walk across the room!

Interesting to have the seimometer aspect confirmed John.  The
alternative short pendulum with a mirror on top could be suspended on a
simple thread passing through a shaped hole near the top of the shaft.
If swinging in a small cylider of light oil most vibration would be
damped out.

I can always be relied upon to think of a difficult solution to a simple
problem ;-)

Tony M.