MMB wrote:

> Mike Shaw wrote:
> >
> > I have just received this e-mail, and I also found I had this Virus. Sounds
> > as though its worth checking your systems. Just follow the instructions.
>
> I own a Mac so my computer is fortunately immune. However, for those of
> you with pcs I have pasted below an extract from a newsletter I receive.
> DON'T delete that .exe file from your system.

Even thou my personal computer is a Linux (and has been a
Unix-live for the
last 20 years or so), I still have to work with Microsoft junk
because of
my profession. Although it is possible to develop virus for
Unix-like OS,
they are very rare, mainly because they are very hard to write
and exceedingly
difficult to install in any seriously-administered machine.

As I said, I have to work with Microsoft stuff too. In spite of
that, I have
never been victimized by a virus even thou I have been exposed to
the Internet
for about 20 years now.

Now, in all those years I have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER received a
good-intentioned
message that is not a hoax. Let's see what a hoast is comprised
of:

a) Good intention -- Some one wants to PROTECT you or something.
Perhaps
   a child, a pet, a cause;
b) They have support from a well-known company (Microsoft, IBM,
other big names);
c) They trust you are ready to help other people educating them
about how to avoid
   the problem you've just been helped about;
d) They think you will send the warning to a lot of friends,
relatives and acquaitances.
   But just to be on the safe side they will also prod you along
instruction you to "send to ..."

A hoax has two bad consequences:

the first one is clogging your mail box and the
whole Internet (remember, we are talking about millions of people
sending
millions of copies of thousands of different hoaxes 24 hours per
day...)
This is its main target.

the second one is a collateral effect that some hoaxes may have.
Like
telling you to remove a file or calling a certain telephone
number.
By doing so you destroy your operating system yourself. Or you
can cause
very serious problem, as it recently happened in Brazil when a
hoax asked
people to call a certain telephone number because a sick child
was about
to die and had no friends or relatives to talk to. Millions of
calls were
placed to an emergency number in a hospital and it went kaput for
several days until the calls subsided. People may have died
because of
this.

So, here is a good advice: NEVER TRY TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE BASED
ON
MESSAGES with ONE OR MORE of the above-mentioned characteristics
(based on your solidarity, big names, good causes). They are
hoaxes.
Always hoaxes.

Bear in mind that if you know about something that might affect
your
friends, and this something comes from a trustful source, you
will
naturally let your friends know about it. Not because you
received
a message with a boilerplate prodding you to disseminate it.

If (when) you get such messages just delete them. The less people
know about it, the better.

- fernando

--
REDUZIR, REUSAR, RECICLAR -- Dever de todos, amor aos que virão
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE -- Everybody's duty, love to those who are