I don't see a problem with that, as long as it is inbetween exposures!
I have never tried it out for so long a time period though. Maybe a car battery adaptor can be used

BTW - there's no need for the camcorder to be digital, just check that it has a programmable time-lapse setting.

One last thing, excuse my ignorance, but what is a shadow sharpener and what is its use?
Thanks
AP