From: "Richard Hollands" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Sent: 30 November, 2003 6:34 PM
Subject: RE: Dial design

    I've just realized, thinking about it again, that the simplest
realization of a 'helical' dial is a single sheet of metal given a
half-twist of 180 degrees. So long as the edges are straight and the twist
is distributed uniformly then the desired "line o'light" effect will be
achieved.

  [Richard Hollands] Reflection on your question suggests that you're right
and that the helical dial will only be accurate at the equinoxes. This is
the fallacy of treating mathematical abstractions as equivalent to
real-world objects.