Here's something for you to think about.

If you ask the question: What is the best latitude(s) for a particular type
of sundial? How would you answer that question? How would you define "best
latitude".

One way of defining best latitude(s) would be those latitudes where the
sundial type functions for the maximum number of hours in a year. (this is
the same as maximum number of hours its face receives sunlight).

Using this definition, what would be the best latitude for a south vertical
wall dial in the northern hemisphere? Where would it function for the
greatest number of hours in a year? How bout a horizontal dial or an
equatorial?

Note:  Forget the effects of cloudy weather, horizon pollution and, eclipses
at different latitudes!

John

John L. Carmichael Jr.
Sundial Sculptures