On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>
> > Weeeellll, the Foucalt Pendulum would prove that the Earth rotates, but I
> > don't think it gives any evidence that it revolves about the Sun. What
> > could we do to take it a step further?
> >

> It does in principle, but it would be hard to get the accuracy.  Other
> things, like parallax and astronomical aberration, are also impossible to
> measure
> with 15th-17th century technology.  But I'm sure once you convinced people
> with
> a Foucault pendulum that the Earth moved *at all*, it would be only a small
> step from accepting rotation to accepting revolution.
>
> Art Carlson
>
> P.S. I can't leave that loaded pun lying around where children might play
> with it:  The revolution was the rotation.  Once that was accepted, the
> revolution (of the Earth around the sun) was no longer a revolution (in world
> view).

Clever! And quite possibly true, but I was hoping for something more
concrete, rather than simply mind-opening.

Thinking again about Foucalt's pendulum, I realize you're right: It makes
a full turn (if situated at one of the poles) in a sidereal day, doesn't
it? That would put it "off" a full day each (solar) year.

What does happen at the equator, say? Simple geocentric mechanics would
have the pendulum swing in an ideal straight line, if I recall. Does the
annual motion introduce a small diurnal rotation, further reduced by the
sine of the Earth's axial tilt? Accuracy in the mechanics of the pendulum
would be overwhelming, but this *is* a thought experiment...

Dave
37.277N 121.966W