From: Tom Egan
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 11:36 PM
Subject: Sundial inside a room, but room is inside a canyon!

I have a nice, south-facing room.  The trouble is, my neighbor's two-story house is about 10 feet away, due south.  Consequently,  if I cut an aperture in my wall, the sun would find it only mid-summer.  The rest of the time, my neighbor's roof would block the sun.  Demolishing his second story is not an option, he says.

I thought of using mirrors to relay the sun's rays down the canyon between our houses, much as a periscope would.  This could be an extension of John Carmichael's reflection sundial (#4 in his reply to Ronit)  Several problems with that, since the horizon-to -horizon and season-to-season arc of the sun would require either
  • A small mirror on top and a huge mirror at the bottom end, plus a huge aperture, or
  • A large set of individually aligned small mirrors on top that are focused on a small mirror at bottom.
Then I thought of a bundle of optical fibers to carry the sun position information down to a dial or display inside the room.  This might be considered an extension of John's #3 projection dial.  A little better, but still requiring precise aligning of hundreds of individual fibers at the top end.  Plus the disadvantage of losing some resolution and brightness because of quantizing the information (in discrete fibers) and then transmitting it through glass instead of air.

Finally, I remembered Mike Shaw's clever implementation of an Indoor Dial he reported on October 29 (or thereabouts), 2000.  He used a 150 mm diameter, plastic sewer pipe to hold the fibers in an equatorial semicircle.  While he could have installed enough fibers to give 5-minute resolution, he chose to start with just 15-minute resolution.  The display ends of the fibers were arranged around the periphery of a clock face.  He reported that plenty of light gets down to the display.

This isn't quite what I'm looking for, though, as I'd like the equivalent of a garden sundial in my room whose gnomon casts a shadow.

I think I can now properly formulate my question:  Is there a way to get the sun's rays down to my room so I can have them illuminate an ordinary sundial?  (Without demolishing my neighbor's house or spending a ton of money?)

Tom Egan
33.642 N, 117.943 W