John,
When I red your experience with your feet I remembered the same experience on a concrete pavement.
For a sundial my feelings would say: use for each quarter of an hour a separate piece of stone separated by a thin thermal insulator. In that way even the slightest heat differences might be able to feel.
Thibaud Chabot