I have not researched this question. Karl Schwarzinger sent me a pretty
folder with color pictures of many beautiful Austrian sundials. Among these
is a folding dial ('Klappsonnenuhr') from 1451, possibly made by Georg
Peuerbach and now in the Kaiser Maximilian Museum in Innsbruck. Does anyone
know of an older portable dial?

maybe could be of some interest for Mike or others. I found this page http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/epact/catalogue.asp?enumber=77593&searchtext=sundial looking on the very interesting web site of EPACT, the sundial is kept in the British Museum, but it is Austrian and it is very similar to the one kept in Innsbruk, but is late dated 1453... only two years late.

Mario
Mario Arnaldi
Via Cavour, 57c
48100 Ravenna