To: <sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Cc: "Jonathan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Frank
King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 10:38 PM
Subject: Save the Leap Second

Dear Diallists,

I wonder whether anyone shares my thoughts about the current
proposals to make serious changes to UTC.  There seems to be
every chance that the Leap Second procedure will be abolished.

At present UTC is kept within 0.9s of UT1 by means of the
occasional leap second.  The proposal is to let these times
differ by up to an hour.  This would introduce a major extra
correction when comparing sundial time and clock time.

[ UT1 is, of course, the hypothetical time by the mean
  sun on the Greenwich Meridian.  Accordingly, UT1 is
  the time of greatest interest to diallists.  UTC is
  the base time for Civil Time throughout the world and
  is what clocks are set to in the UK in Winter.

  It is a major blessing to diallists and anyone who uses
  astronomical tables that UTC and UT1 are guaranteed the
  same to within one second.]

The outline of the proposals can be seen at:

  http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/gambis.html

Be warned.  Pour a stiff drink before reading this!

The proposals come from the International Telecommunications
Union, ITU.  Their Working Party 7A, or WP-7A, proposes:

 1 - Maintenance of a time scale called UTC.

 2 - Suppression of the leap seconds adjustments which
     maintains UTC close to UT1, a time scale based on the
     Earth's rotation (currently UT1-UTC < .9 s)

 3 - The difference of UT1 from UTC should not exceed 1 hour.

 4 - The change should take effect at 21 December 2007, 00:00 UTC

We are told helpfully:

 If your activity is affected by the content of the US proposal
 which will be discussed in November 2005 at the WP-7A, you are
 urged to react.

Well our activity will certainly be affected.  In my view, we
should indeed react.

My view is not of great consequence of course but take a look
at what Jean Meeus says, epecially Point (6) about sundials, in
his message to Daniel Gambis of the IERS [to whom representations
should be made]: