Here are a few articles, not necessarily any which meet your requirements:

The future of leap seconds, including link to Meeus's article
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/onlinebib.html

Survey article on leap seconds
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/

The Leap Second: Its history and possible future
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/time/metrologia-leapsecond.pdf

There is also a note elsewhere from Signal Engineering regarding DCPRS Certification (whatever that is): that a GPS receiver must be turned on from Standby Mode for at least 12.5 minutes before use so that the GPS Almanac can be downloaded to determine if a Leap Second had occurred. I wonder if eliminating the Leap Second would permit faster startup.

Gordon Uber
San Diego, California