Dear Mike, Frans & all,

I think this goal is absolutely the most important thing we can do to
improve the appreciation of sundials by the general public. Wouldn't it be
nice if we could make non-dials unsellable by educating people into what
makes a real sundial. At the same time, we can educate makers and sellers to
stop making/selling them. Imagine if someone tried to sell a watch with bent
hands, a zero at the top, 13 hours around the dial....
I have advised various people on how to select a sundial. My ideas don't
seem to duplicate what Mike already has, so I offer themn here. I include
instructions for orientation, but I understand Mike's reasons for keeping
them separate:

My starting point is always to check that the gnomon is straight and does,
or can be made to, point upwards at an angle approximately equal to your
latitude. For England, that varies between 50 degrees in the South and 55
degrees in the North. To estimate the gnomon angle while you're in the shop,
take off your watch and use its face. Hold it vertically against the side of
the gnomon's edge, so 12 o'clock is vertical, and the gnomon slopes up to
the right. If the gnomon were an minute hand on your watch, how many minutes
would it be until a quarter past? Multiply by 6 to give the latitude. For
instance, 9 minutes times 6 is 54, so the sundial is made/set for 54
degrees.
If you don't mind setting the hands on your watch, you could set it to 6
minutes past the hour (i.e. 9 minutes until a quarter past), rather than
just estimating the hand position, thren check that thre gnomon points in
the same direction.
Armillary sphere dials can usually be adjusted to almost any latitude by
changing the position where the vertical ring is clamped to the base. Check
that your latitude can be set. There may be a latitude scale marked on the
vertical ring, or you can use the watch trick.

Next, you need to check the hour lines on the dial. To do this, get yourself
into a position where you can look straight along the edge of the gnomon
towards the dial. Now, put your watch against the end of the gnomon, so that
12 o'clock is up, and tilt it so you're looking straight at the watchface.
Traditionally, dials have 12 o'clock directly under the gnomon, but some
dials these days have 1 o'clock, to show summer time (also called daylight
savings time) as this tends to be when the sun shines most and people are
out of doors. Either way, when you look past your watch at the dial, the
hour lines on the dial should look equally spaced, but there are 24 of them
in a day, so every two hours on the dial should correspond to one hour on
your watch. Check that the hour lines do appear to be extensions of the hour
lines of your watch, all radiating from the foot of the gnomon.

Depending on whether you live in the northern or southern hemisphere, and on
whether you're looking at a vertical dial or at a horizontal or armillary
dial, the numbers on the dial may go clockwise or anticlockwise! When you
get it home you must install it so the gnomon points due north-south. In the
northern hemisphere, the higher end of the gnomon will point north. Opposite
in the southern hemisphere, of course. So, when you look along the gnomon to
the dial, are you looking north or south? If you are looking southwards, the
numbers on the dial must go clockwise, if northwards they go anticlockwise.
So, for instance, a horizontal dial in the northern hemisphere has its
gnomon pointing up, so you look down it southwards and the numbers therefore
go clockwise.

These three tricks work with all horizontal, armillary sphere and vertical
sundials you are ever likely to see in a shop anywhere in the world. They
don't help with all portable dials, some of which are latitude-dependent.

For maximum accuracy, if the gnomon is a thick plate, there should be a gap
of the same thickness in the dial markings at noon, so it goes 11:50, 11:55,
12:00, gap, 12:00, 12:05.... Also, the hour lines should appear to radiate
from the foot of the gnomon on the side where the shadow edge will be. If
the gnomon is a string or a thinnish rod, there is no gap - you read time to
the centre of the shadow, which is more accurate but liable to damage.

When you get the dial home, you need to set it up so the gnomon points due
north-south. For a vertical dial, this means it must be on a south-facing
wall (dials can be made specially for other walls, but you won't find them
on general sale). For a horizontal dial or armillary sphere the base should
be level. The easiest way to set the orientation is by waiting until the sun
shines, then turning the dial until it tells the time correctly. But the
correct time isn't just the clock time. At different times of the year a
sundial is up to a quarter of an hour fast or slow, and your watch may be
set to summer time. In any case, your watch is set to a particular time
zone, such as Greenwich Mean Time. If you live east or west of the Greenwich
Meridian the sun will reach you earlier or later, so your dial will be
systematically fast or slow. You need to know your longitude, which you
should be able to get off a map. On the BSS Web site
(http://www.sundialsoc.org.uk) there is a solar calculator that tells you
exactly where the sun is and what your sundial should be reading at your
longitude right now.

For instance, when I wrote this and having put in my longitude, the BSS
calculator told me "The sun is due south today at solar noon at 13:01:38" so
the sundial should read 12:00:00 (or 13:00:00 if it's a summer time dial) at
13:01:38. So I should turn my sundial around until it appears to be 1 hour,
1 minute and 38 seconds slow compared with my watch. If I set the dial in
this position, it will be as good as it can be, but that still means it will
be up to a quarter of an hour fast or slow at different times of year, and
it will always be about 5 minutes fast due to my living west of Greenwich

I think these ideas supplement what Mike has. If he or anyone else wants to
use them / put them on a Web site, please feel free. Piers isn't the only
one utterly frustrated and disgusted at the rubbish that's out there.

Best wishes
Chris
51.4N 1.3W