Chris Lusby Taylor wrote on 10/17/06, 1:28 PM:

"Actually, I thought "historical reenactment" and "standard mean time" are sort of mutually exclusive."

Well, in the strict sense you are right, although there are historical re-enactments that take place in time periods after time was standardized. In my case I can make concessions to reality to get people interested. I'm not, in this instance, trying to be strictly historically accurate but to bridge a gap. Most people aren't, frankly, impressed that you can tell them Local Aparrent Mean time. They just look at their watch and note that you have the  "wrong" time of day. I'm occasionally performing at "Renaisance" faires rahter than somethning like Plymoth Plantation. Renaissance fairs tend to be a little loose on the details these days so a certain amount of cheating is within the bounds of the type of event.

"Of these, the most portable form is the Universal Equatorial (or Equinoctial) Ring Dial. To read mean time, its equatorial ring must be made to rotate: most do not."

Natrually, that would be ideal. I'd love to own one with an adjustable hour scale but to my knowledge, no such Ring Dial has been commercially available in recent history (or, perhaps, ever been mass produced) and making one would require a rather expensive commision or dedicating myself to learning how to etch and machine brass and taking on a fair bit of cost in practicing and tooling up to execute. If anyone knows of such a dial being available I'd be interested.