Hello Franks and all,

I assume we are to neglect altitude differences and use the fictional
spherical earth model, but just what do we mean by 'the same time'?  I
would assume that when two or more persons look at their watches,
corrected for standard zone time, that they read the same numbers?  If so,
this would give a larger number of answers as the sun sets in each time
zone, it will probably occur some place within it at the same clock time as in
fixed places in other time zones. Something like the New Year always starts
at midnight, so each time zone has it's own New Year, 24 in total.  Since the
time zones are so non-uniform, the problem could be quite difficult to solve.
But you probably mean at the same GMT or Universal time.  Then we have
our troubles with synchronizing.  Given that light travels at about 11.8
inches in a nanosecond, someone 11.8 feet away would be off by 12
nanoseconds.  Still, the problem is a neat one!

Having fun with Sundials!

Edley.