Dear Mr. Evans and Mr. King,

I liked the problem.  I have not worked out the math yet.  I am not very
good at quadratics in trig.  I was going to work on "iterations" to close in
on the answer.

I tried a few examples with your math.  They seem to calculate reasonable
and interesting answers:

    --lat of 50° and 35.8°  need a difference of longitude of 11° to get
solar dec at solstice of around 23.5°
    --two locations at different lat need a difference of long of zero to
set on the equinox (solar dec of 0°).
    --two locations with too great of a difference of longitude, would be
too far apart to ever have the same moment of sunset.
    -- here are a few situations - all at the winter solstice

Lat1      Lat2       Diff in Long
42°N      33°N        6.7°

42°N      10°N      18.6° (one hour)

42°N     -20°S      32°  (two hours)

42°N     -51°S      56°   (three or four hours)

Upon the first reading of the problem, I thought it was a continuation of
the "rotating platform on a polar axis with a pointer of EOT correction"
thread.  IF you had a pointer on a scale, and you didn't use it for
corrections for EOT or longitude, then it could point to the name of cities
that have the same sunset time.  It might require a condition given on the
horizontal "dial" surface that would have to relate to solar declination.  I
don't know if I have the correct picture in my head for set up -- but I will
think more about it.  Any other ideas on this?

Warren