Dear Mr. King,

I have really enjoyed this problem.  In one sense it is simple because it
not about hours, but about events.

In a recent post you said:

From: "Frank King"
Subject: Re: simultaneous sunset

> One of the many nice features of this puzzle is that there
> is no need to know the time of sunset (or sunrise) and, in
> consequence, you can lay any understanding of hour-angles
> on one side.

But I am having a problem understanding something.

Are you saying below that ANY two locations MUST have a moment of mutual
sunrise/sunset?

Or are you saying, for any location there exists a second location at EVERY
longitude that will have one mutual moment sunrise/sunset?  I can understand
the second statement, but not the first.  At first glance I rejected the
second statement, but clearly it must be true if the sun covers half the
Earth every instant.

For example,  if I calculate the solar declination for the two latitudes of
42°N and 10°N and 90° difference of longitude  -- I get a declination
of -47°.  Certainly this is outside the range of -23.5° to +23.5° for our
current situation on Earth.  This would be two locations that never share a
sunrise/sunset event.  Yet 42°N and -64.7S and 90° longitude difference
share a common event on winter solstice.  Location 2 is determined given
location 1, difference in longitude and solstice solar declination of 23.5°
.

Warren