Greetings. This is my first post to this forum so expect a few
threading booboos before I get it right :-)

I haven't built a single sundial in my life but few years ago I got
interested in them through Rene Rohr's book "Sundials: History,
Theory, and Practice". I found portable self-orienting dials esp.
interesting.

Some time later I came across Yvon Masse's web site where he describes
a couple of mean time analemmatic sundials. I really liked his second
design
(at http://pagesperso-orange.fr/ymasse/gnomon/anmn2.htm )
and decided to construct it. Problem: program to compute this sundial
is nowhere to be found. So I decided to write one - the thing has
unexpectedly turned into a web page programming exercise.

If you are interested, here is a URL to my web page containing the program:
http://a1.homelinux.com/cgi-bin/msundial2.cgi

Since it runs directly on that web page, it runs on any platform
(Linux, Mac, Windows) - all it needs is a decent modern browser like
Firefox. The output it produces consists of an accurate image
representing the dial and (optionally) a list of exact coordinates of
all the relevant elements.

Under the "Help" link there is a really long-winded explanation of the use.

The interesting thing about this sundial (of the analemmatic central
projection type) is that the correction for the equation of time is
built directly into its standard gnomon movement.

I'm not sure if the type of output the program produces is useful so
I'm open to suggestions on that one. What I included there - an image
and an optional exact coordinate list - seemed reasonable to me but
I'm no expert on this.

    Cheers,

--
Jan Bielawski