From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Mac Oglesby
Sent: Wed 4/23/2008 8:59 PM
To: Sundial Mailing List
Subject: Request for suggestions

Hello friends,

Does anyone know a simple, safe, and inexpensive method to
permanently darken stainless steel?

I'm involved in a project to create a vertical decliner (48 inches
wide by 30 inches high by 1 inch thick cast concrete) sundial for our
town's Municipal Center showing hours until sunset. For the hour
lines we intend to use 1/4 inch square stainless steel bars imbedded
into the concrete.

Test castings show that, when sunlit, the imbedded bars appear dark
from most viewing angles, but that from some angles reflect light so
as to almost disappear. Although the changing appearance of the hour
lines might be considered a positive feature, I'd rather the hour
lines always looked dark.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mac Oglesby