Mac,

You can do black oxide coatings on stainless steel.    You can also use
a PVD (Plasma Vapor Deposition) coating of AlTiN (Aluminum Titanium
Nitride - also called TiAlN) - which makes a very nice black shade on
steel/stainless steel with fine detail - added benefit is really good
abrasion resistance.

Just Google for "PVD" "Black Oxide" "Stainless Steel" and "Black PVD",
etc.  Most major metropolitan areas have at least one plasma coater.

The PVD will tend to be expensive - but not too bad if its a high end
custom dial.  The bigger problem may be a size limitation - most PVD
coaters do smaller parts, like cutting tools.  However - they are
accustomed to doing a wide variety of special and unique parts / medical
parts / etc- so don't be afraid to ask.

Black oxide is just not as durable - but probably perfectly adequate -
size should not be a limitation.  We use it for color only.

A third choice is nitriding - We use one called QPQ which means Quench
Polish Quench - it may work on Stainless.  Its looks about the same as
Black Oxide (nicer actually), and costs about the same (perhaps slightly
more), and size is not an issue - but it offers a lot more corrosion
protection than black oxide.

You might want to ask about corrosion, usually these coating have no
effect or a positive effect - but just because you have stainless as the
base doesn't mean its a given - you might get a counter intuitive
result.  It may also depend on the exact alloy of Stainless you're
using.  The stainless might need to be passivated first.  Talk to the
coater.

 - Ben Hoffmann