Sundiallists always know where they are, but do they know where they
are going?

This rather rhetorical question is slightly off topic and directed to
our computer experts:   the question is how does my satellite
navigation (Sat Nav) system in my car, or hand held, know where it is
going and how to get there when I give it an address?

A search in Wikipedia or Google under satellite navigation talks about
the satellites, timing, position, etc, but NOT what is in my little box.

I assume that the memory holds some form of map (vector storage, or
bit map?) and a series of nodes for every single road intersection
(and plans thereof).  A route finding algorithm must exist for testing
all the nodes between and A and B.  I also assume each link between
any two nodes must obey some rules about speed limits, preferences for
motorways, etc.

Then, I assume that the incoming signal for latitude and longitude
must cause the map to 'place itself' under this lat long so that you
can see a real time display of where you are and where you are going.

It would be nice to know more!  Any advice please.

Regards, Doug (who sometimes still get lost)