Hi Doug,

Look up "vehicle routing problem" and the following:

http://www.sintef.no/static/am/opti/projects/top/vrp/

Here is a list of research papers available on line:
http://www.sintef.no/static/am/opti/projects/top/vrp/bibliography.html

Your assumption is basically correct. The solution must be searched
for. In general, given a table of nodes/intersections and the
distances between them, one can search all paths for the shortest
path. Since this usually takes too long, one takes shortcuts
(heuristics or guesses), sometimes not even attempting the best solution.

(I was looking at this in about 1963 for finding the shortest length
of wire to interconnect a set of electrical terminals. I have not
kept up in the field.)

Gordon