Dear Frank (King),

Frank King wrote:

> No doubt the transition to equal hours (whether
> starting at noon, midnight, sunrise or sunset)
> was gradual but I feel it long predates mechanical
> clocks.

Do you have any evidence supporting your feeling?

I have studied the question when the pole-style sundial, reading equal
hours, appeared in the Western world. Zinner appeared to be the most
important reviewer of the few written primary sources. My conclusion was
that the pole-style dial appeared around 1400, hence a century or so
AFTER the introduction of mechanical clocks.
I have written an article about this (in Dutch ;-) for the Dutch and
Flemish bulletins in 2004.

It has been suggested that the pole-style dial (and hence equal hours)
was brought to the West by returning crusaders. Karlheinz Schaldach gave
convincing arguments against this in BSS Bulletin 96.3.

Best regards,
Frans Maes