Dear Frans,

You ask a very perceptive question:

> > No doubt the transition to equal hours (whether
> > starting at noon, midnight, sunrise or sunset)
> > was gradual but I feel it long predates mechanical
> > clocks.

> Do you have any evidence supporting your feeling?

No!  I had heard (from you and others) that the
polar-oriented gnomon was a much later development
than one might guess, sometime around or after 1400
as you say.  Also...

I knew there were mechanical clocks at that time but
I had frogotten that clocks had been around for a
century or so by then.

You are almost suggesting (perhaps you are actually
suggesting) that the development of the polar-oriented
gnomon was a consequence of the development of
mechanical clocks.

A polar-oriented gnomon is not, of course, essential
for indicating equal hours.  Indeed, Italian Hours
are (almost) equal hours but you do not indicate
Italian Hours with a polar-oriented gnomon.

My thought (my feeling!) was that Gianni or someone
else could suggest that sundials showing Italian Hours
were around before clocks.  His answer is clear:

> The equal hours started to be used after the advent
> of the tower clocks...

This suggests that the advent of tower clocks was
seminal to the popular use of equal hours and, I
assume, this applies to ANY kind of equal hours
system, whether the day started at sunset, sunrise,
noon or midnight.

Given the late development of the polar-oriented
gnomon I had assumed that equal hours sundials
starting at noon or midnight were around before
the introduction of the polar-oriented gnomon.
Is this a false assumption?

You say:

> It has been suggested that the pole-style dial
> (and hence equal hours)...

I wonder about the use of the word "hence"?

You don't need a polar-oriented gnomon to
indicate equal hours (starting at noon or
midnight) although it certainly helps.

I am in danger of going wildly astray!  Maybe
you could confirm (or refute) the suggestion
that there were sundials that showed equal
hours starting at noon or midnight before
the advent of the polar-oriented gnonom?

I promise not to challenge your answer :-)

Best wishes

Frank