Bill Gottesman wrote:

>But I now wonder if there is a decent, more affordable program that lets
>hobbyists and small businesses design 3-D models, and allows you to
>export them in a file format suitable for rapid prototyping?

Bill,

I have not used this service but plan to. www.emachineshop.com

They have free downloadable 3D-CAD software (PC only). You send the file
generated by their software to them and they make the part in most any
material you want. Minimum part order is one.

This is what they say about other CAD software use for importation:

>Can I import an existing drawing?

>Currently eMachineShop has some import capability for IGES and STL and can
>import 2D DXF files. Most programs can export to one of these formats. You
>may need to make some adjustments after the import.

Let me know if you try it and the results of the experience.

Larry Bohlayer
Celestial Products
P.O. Box 801
Middleburg, VA 20118