I want to thank all contributors for their ideas/recommendations.  I
have looked a bit into Google Sketch-up, but do not see that it can
export a .stl file for rapid prototyping.  At present I am going to try
Alibre, which has a free version which seems powerful enough to do all I
need.  The full version (about $1,000) is only 1/4 the price of
Solidworks, if needed, and is available greatly discounted to students
(I am enrolled at a local university as a continuing education student).

-Bill