I am hoping the sundial mailing list may be able to give me suggestions
on affordable software for design and rapid-prototyping.  I want to be
able to design and rapid-prototype small sundial models or parts.

I was about take a university course in Solidworks, because for $100 you
can buy a 2 year license for a working "full featured" student version,
EXCEPT that 1) It will not export a usable rapid-prototype file, and 2)
It will not export a Solidworks file for use on a commercial Solidworks
program.  In this manner, Solidworks makes sure that nothing of
commercial value can be created on the inexpensive student version, and
that for commercial purposes, you have to use/buy the commercial
version, which starts at $4,000.  I decided not to invest my time in the
Solidworks course.

But I now wonder if there is a decent, more affordable program that lets
hobbyists and small businesses design 3-D models, and allows you to
export them in a file format suitable for rapid prototyping?

-Bill Gottesman