Hello Willy,
I think that a 3 meters diameter sundial can be held by a good support or even
put on the floor on a concave hole. Do you see any problem in a time ring with
3 meters of diameter?
The little ball in the pole-style is interesting, depending the place you put
it will make a shadow in a different day in the year, right?
Best regards,
Leandro.

CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Re: GreetingsDate: Tue, 7 Oct 2008
16:20:34 +0200To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],

A three meters diameter equatorial sundial is a big size for a sundial!

I placed a one meter diameter equatorial sundial on a square in the town where
I am living, Hasselt in Flanders (Belgium).

The pole-style, usually a rod, has been replaced by a slit in a wide strip of
metal. The slit has been beveled inward, so that it allows the sun through
until well after 5 pm. And after that the shadow of the strip itself is getting
narrow enough for an accurate reading.

The time ring consists of a T-beam, bent to 1 meter (3' 3") diameter. Being
open, the ring can be broad and sturdy without blocking the sun around the
equinoxes.

The pole-style has a little ball as an index, welded into the slit. It marks
one particular date, when its shadow is exactly bisected by the horizontal
line. Here, that date is September 10, which in 2000 was National Heritage Day.

An identical armillary sphere but adjusted to another anniversary, the National
Holiday of Flanders, can be found in Sint-Martens-Voeren in Flanders (Belgium).

See:
http://www.wijzerweb.be/hasselt001A.html
and
http://www.wijzerweb.be/voeren001A.html

Best regards.

Willy LEENDERS
Hasselt in Flanders (Belgium)

www.wijzerweb.be

Op 7-okt-08, om 07:05 heeft Leandro V. Rabelo het volgende geschreven:

Hello people,
I read your comments here every day and this is my first time I’m writing to
you. Almost one year ago I saw in the internet a monument at Adler planetarium
in Chicago, when I discovered that the monument was a sundial, and then, what a
sundial was, I started studying about it to try to do one here in my city, I
know that this is an ambitious project but I’m studying for that and I hope
this can become a reality.
I’m planning to make a three meters diameter equatorial sundial to put in an
important place here, I know that I have many things to learn to make an
accurate sundial, but I just want to say that I learned many things here
reading your e-mails and now I’ll study more and more to make my own sundial,
please don’t hesitate if you have any suggestions and when I have news about my
sundial I’ll post here.
Best regards,

Leandro Rabelo
Maceió, Brazil.
(9°39'53.64"S - 35°41'47.56"W)

Veja mapas e encontre as melhores rotas para fugir do trânsito com o Live
Search Maps! Experimente já!