Hi Thomas & Frank:

Laying out a coordinate grid system to mark wall sundial faces can get very
tedious especially if there are lots of curved analemmas.  Have you
considered using the eassy method that most of the wall sundial painters in
Italy, France and Austria use? I call it the "connect the dots" method.  See
this webpage that discusses this easy technique:
http://advanceassociates.com/WallDial/TechnicalInfoPage.html

Design Transfer to Wall: The typical way of transferring a drawing to a wall
is the "connect the dots" method:

1.First, make a full size drawing of the sundial on paper or Mylar plastic.
I greatly prefer to use Mylar because it is much more durable and
water-proof than paper and it won't tear, shrink or expand and can be reused
many times.
2.Put the drawing on a table with foam board underneath it. Then using a
sharp leather awl (like a short ice pick), punch holes into the lines on the
drawing. Curved lines require more closely spaced holes than straight lines
3.Tape the drawing to the wall using painters tape making sure that it is
level and correctly positioned on the wall. Using Sharpee waterproof marker
pens, make dots on the wall through the holes in the drawing.
4.Remove the drawing from the wall and connect the dots on the wall using
Sharpee waterproof pens. Use a straight edge ruler to connect the dots of
straight lines and use freehand or a French curve to connect the dots of
curved lines.
5.Begin painting in layers. When I made my wall dial, I painted the colors
between the lines first, and then I painted the lines, numerals and artwork
on top in layers. Each time I painted a different layer, I had to retape the
drawing to the wall and mark the dots during the painting process. Usually,
it takes a couple of coats of paint to get good coverage.
6.When finished painting, attach the gnomon to the wall.

John Carmichael