From: "Roger Bailey" <rtbai...@telus.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:14 AM
To: "Roger Bailey" <rtbai...@telus.net>; <bren...@verizon.net>; "Sundial List" <sund...@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Subject: Re: 360 degree

The confusion on noon has nothing to do with the day starting at midnight or noon. It has to do with the definition of the Republican hour. Were there 10 hours per day as shown on the "Les Vigneaux" sundial or two 10 hour periods starting at midnight and noon? I guess it is two 10 hour periods, like our two 12 hour periods. This would allow clock makers to just change the face of the 12 hour clock to a 10 hour clock. Otherwise the gears would have to be changed to give a 24 hour, 10 Republican hour clock.

The "Les Vigneaux" sundial is unusual as it is north facing, declining east, showing early morning hours. The sun would not be on the dial at noon. If an hour line for noon were drawn on the dial, it would be, as always on a VD sundial, a vertical line, the meridian, marked as 5 hours.

I was drawn to this location by the corner dials on the village church. The Republican sundial was right next door. See: http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM7EV1_Corner_Sundials_on_Church_Tower_Les_Vigneaux_Vallouise_Hautes_Alpes_France

Regards,
Roger Bailey