Dear Brent,

You correctly note...

> It looks like the date must have changed at noon.

Indeed so.  Interestingly, even with GMT (as used by
astronomers and navigators) the date used to change
at noon (which was referred to as 0h GMT).  This was
the case until 1 January 1925, so not very long ago!
See:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time

Historians can be confused by this.  They will read
an entry in a ship's log recording landfall at a
certain time on a certain date and fail to interpret
the information correctly.

While it is well established that the date changed
at noon I haven't actually seen it written down that
the day changed at noon too.  Can anyone confirm this
and give a reference?

A good many people don't know the day's date without
checking but most know the day of the week.  It would
be odd to have the date changing at one time and the
day at another.

I didn't know that French Revolutionary Time had the
date changing at noon but that would fit with the
way I think French Navigation Tables were published
at the time.  Can anyone confirm that?

Napoleon had a go at almost anything that used
base 12 or a multiple of 12 but, looking at the
sundial at

    www.sundialatlas.eu/atlas.php?so=IT2810

it seems that Napoleon forgot to change the number
of Signs of the Zodiac to 10.

I wonder how he would have done that :-)

You can't simply drop the two Signs you least like
and spread the others out!!

All the best

Frank H. King
Cambridge, UK