Dear Andrew (and Fer),

Many thanks for this reference...

  http://www.aandc.org/research/nautical_time_and_date.html

That is a splendid article and shows just what pitfalls
one can fall into when attempting to force historical
data to fit the present way of thinking!

I share your thought...

  I can't really imagine that even sailors (or
  astronomers) would have had the day changing
  name at midday...

That said, I have a feeling that when Italian Hours
were in common use in Italy both the date and the
day name changed at sunset.

This is a cue for Italian readers of the list to
say that this has been widely discussed before
(which is true) and that no widespread agreement
has been established :-)

One hang-over which still persists in astronomy is
the Julian Day Number which changes at noon UTC.

As I write, it is Thursday and the JDN is 2455581.
In just over four hours time it will still be
Thursday but the JDN will be 2455582.

The scope for confusion is almost endless.  This
splendid list has now provided us with pictures
of one French Revolution Hours sundial with noon
shown as 10 and another with noon shown as 5.
Maybe Napoleon didn't write a rigorous spec?

Frank