From: sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On
Behalf Of Martina Addiscott
Sent: April-26-11 7:02 AM
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: Re: Sundials for teaching

In message <4db634d0.5040...@verizon.net>
          Brent <bren...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  > Martina Addiscott wrote:
>
> > Whether the children have actually 'learned' anything (or even
> > properly understood the concept), is largely irrelevant - just so
> > long as we can demonstrate (to "OFSTED" inspectors) that the curriculum
is implemented.

> > No doubt it is this underlying bureaucracy which has led to a
> > reduction in educational standards, over the years - as the children
> > do not really get the time (or opportunity) to learn anything "from
first principles".

> > We are therefore turning-out a generation of people who might know
> > WHAT, but not WHY, things work - even though the level of 'what'
> > they know is debatable, and they may not actually be able to "think for
themselves".

> I'm not a teacher so I'm not really qualified to respond to this
> silliness but I may be the closest thing that this list has to a
> student.
>
> Personally I am more interested in the 'why' of things and trying to
> figure them out myself leads to a greater understanding. Sure, I could
> look everything up on Google and make short order of this subject by
> just reading. But I have absolutely no interest in that and I suspect
> I am not alone. Apologies to all my sundial friends here but sundial
> facts and figures are as boring as you get.
>
> If I was a teacher I would say, okay class we are going to make a
> sundial together. We will figure out how to make one, then we will
> make one, then we will figure out why it works.
>
> The process of choosing what to use for a gnomon, where is the best
> location for the sundial, what angle should the gnomon be directed...
> are all important lessons in themselves and lead to a complete
> understanding of how a sundial works and why.
>
> It seems simple enough to me and you don't even need to buy anything.
> Use the 500 pounds to take the class on a field trip to see existing
> sundials around your area. Then stop at McDonalds and buy them all
> lunch and make a sundial with your bag of fries. They will remember
> that forever.
>
> brent

Thanks, Brent, for your message - and what you suggested might be OK for
where you are, but this would probably be a "non-starter" here in the UK.

I appreciate that you are not a teacher (and will be unfamiliar with how
things are done here) - but the amount of approval and 'paperwork' which
should be needed for your nice idea, would make it absolutely horrendous.

Apart from all the parental approvals necessary to take the children on the
sort of 'field trip' you mentioned - we would certainly be unlikely to get
permission, to take them to any "McDonalds" fast food restaurant !

In the UK, there is very much a 'healthy eating' policy at schools - and (on
school grounds or excursions), the children are only really allowed to eat
foods which the local Educational Authority has deemed satisfactory.

If they want to choose their own 'fast food', it needs a disclaimer from
parents, agreeing that they will be responsible for any resulting issues.

Apart from that, here in Bexhill-on-Sea (East Sussex) - the only really
interesting sundial WAS the 'Human' analemmatic on the sea-front - but it
had eventually been removed, because of all the trouble which it caused.

That is one of the reasons why we cannot get one into our school - though
'across the border' in West Sussex, there is no problem with such layouts.

As I indicated before, each Educational Authority makes its own 'rules'.

You are obviously the sort of person who likes to 'investigate' things for
yourself (and learn from your own mistakes) - but, unfortunately, that is
not how the UK educational system works these days.  Britain used to be a
"nation of inventors" - although that is now long gone, due to 'politics'.

Sincerely,

Martina Addiscott.