Hi all,

Sara is spot on. If you are going to teach how a sundial works you have to 1st
start with the largest clock in the world, the Earth with a sundial at the
poles. The moment for this clock is the Earth spinning. Then move the sundial
to the Equator of the globe and show how the earth also turns the sundial at
the Equator as it is geared to the Earth. But this time the sundial only works
for around 1/2 the time because we now have day and night. Then move the
sundial to another latitude on the globe and show how the style is kept
parallel to the axis of the Earth, by adjusting the style to the latitude. To
show how the hour lines are drawn, you could use a disk with hour lines marked
every 15 deg as Tony has on his sundial. You extend each hour line onto the
horizontal base of the sundial. A building with a vertical sundial could also
be stuck onto the globe. You might also indicate that the style of all these
sundials are parallel to the axis of the Earth.

To show this a world globe with a lamp as the sun could be used. And rotate the
globe to show the time on the sundial. A equatorial sundial could be used as it
would also work at the poles. A globe and lamp could also be used to show the
seasons when the globe is moved around the sun. Your students could design and
make their own cardboard sundials for different cities around the world. Then
test their sundials by sticking them on the globe.

The concept of using the Earth as the largest clock in the world was described
in my digital add on to one of the NASS magazines.

Roderick Wall.