Hello Donald,

Many of us share your interest in developing the logic to suit our specific
purposes. Many of us have been there and done that. I even have the Sunset tee
shirt that I displayed at a NASS conference way back when.

The starting point is the spherical triangle for your position. The important
equations are the Navigators' Equations for the altitude and azimuth of the sun
or any celestial object. You input your location and time knowing the latitude
and declination of the sun. It is easy to remember sine, sine, sine, cos, cos
cos. Adding the specifics, Sin Altitude = Sin x Dec x Sin Lat + Cos Dec x Cos
Lat x Cos time. Azimuth is then calculated by the law of sines as applied to
your spherical triangle. In this case Sin Azimuth = Cos Dec x Sin Time / Cos
Alt.

These are the standard equations to use in your spreadsheet. I have used them
in many varied spreadsheets, projects and presentations. A good example is
available on my website www.walkingshadow.info as presentation # 21. "Sunset
Phenomenon"  The Use of Simple Spherical Trigonometry to Determine When, Where
and How the Sun Sets"

Time is the local hour angle and longitude affects this for your specific
location. Expect problems developing the equations in spreadsheets like Excel
as it deals with radian measure for trig functions and there are ambiguities
for different quadrants. But in reality, the only way to understand this stuff
is to do it. My high school trig teacher over 50 years ago said "All knowledge
comes up through a pencil" Your spreadsheet is the modern pencil, a very shape
pencil, easily broken.