Donald.

Many ways to solve your problem and I add mine as I use in my program ZW2000 to
calculate flat sundials .
The procedures are published on the website of De Zonnewijzerkring.
Address below.
Look for:
- Calculate and construct.
- Flat sundials, extensive version.

Read the preface and definitions pages.
And then in the main procedure you find what you asked in your mail.

Needed input:
Latitude
Longitude
Time as hourangle of the sun
And the sun's declination.
(And for sundials also d, i, g, declination and inclination of the dial's plane
and the lenght of the (pin-)gnomom.)

For your goal now calcuate:
x0, y0, z0.
The coordinates of the sun in the equatorial sytem of sun's declination and
hourangle.

x1, y1, z1.
The coordinates of the sun in the horizontal sytem of altitude and azimuth

>From the latter it is easy to calculate the wanted azimuth and altitude.

This all in a sphere with radius of 1 unit.

If you are also using the rest of the procedures, x3, y3, z3 give you the
coordinates of the sun relative to the plane of the sundial.

You still need procedures for a given day(-number) to calculate the declination
of the sun and the equation of time.
Again, many solutions can be found but in the page "endnotes" you may find my
procudure.
I calculate formulas for a given year. An example for 1998 is given.
With equadecl you may calculate the formulas for any given year.
I suggest to choose a year between two leapyears some years in future if you
use this methode.

Have fun with it. Fer.

Fer J. de Vries

De Zonnewijzerkring