A further point about lime mortar. It sets quite hard within a few weeks, but
continues to get harder & harder at an exponentially slower rate until the
carbon dioxide (as carbonic acid) in the atmosphere eventually converts it back
to its original calcium carbonate. So Roman mortar is very very hard and
totally inflexible…. Yes!,  it can take thousands of years to re-convert - this
is one of the reasons why ancient buildings (as Roman aqueducts) last so long.
The conversion is quicker in cold climates since frost makes micro cracks which
allows the carbonic acid to percolate into the mortar.

CaCO3 (limestone) ---heat---> CaO (quicklime)+ CO2
CaO (quicklime)+ H20 ---> Ca(OH)2 (slaked lime)
CO2 + H2O --- in the atmosphere ---> H2CO3 (carbonic acid - very weak)
Ca(OH)2 (slaked lime) + H2CO3 + O2 ---- time ---> CaCO3 (limestone) + 2H20
My chemistry is very rusty - so I hope the formulae are right

All the best
Kevin