From: Jack Aubert <j...@chezaubert.net>
To: 'Kevin Karney' <kar...@me.com>; 'Sundial' <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Sent: Wed, 15 May 2013 1:04
Subject: RE: Re quicklime

This is all fascinating stuff and I will either impress or borepeople  with my
bogus erudition on the subject.

But Is there an easy way to distinguish lime mortar from Portlandcement mortar,
like with one’s thumbnail?  In America, the oldest brickbuildings on the East
Coast are from the mid 18th century but theywould generally have been
re-pointed with Portland cement.  Last weekend Iwas checking mortar joints in
Alexandria, Virginia, where the oldest buildingsdate from that period.  They
all seemed to have the same sandyconsistency.  I jokingly told a homeowners
that I was the “mortarinspector”.  He replied “Finally!  We’ve been
waitingforever!”

Jack