From: sundial [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On Behalf Of Kevin
Karney
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2013 2:39 PM
To: Sundial
Subject: Re: Re quicklime

A further point about lime mortar. It sets quite hard within a few weeks,
but continues to get harder & harder at an exponentially slower rate until
the carbon dioxide (as carbonic acid) in the atmosphere eventually converts
it back to its original calcium carbonate. So Roman mortar is very very hard
and totally inflexible.. Yes!,  it can take thousands of years to re-convert
- this is one of the reasons why ancient buildings (as Roman aqueducts) last
so long. The conversion is quicker in cold climates since frost makes micro
cracks which allows the carbonic acid to percolate into the mortar.

CaCO3 (limestone) ---heat---> CaO (quicklime)+ CO2

CaO (quicklime)+ H20 ---> Ca(OH)2 (slaked lime)

CO2 + H2O --- in the atmosphere ---> H2CO3 (carbonic acid - very weak)

Ca(OH)2 (slaked lime) + H2CO3 + O2 ---- time ---> CaCO3 (limestone) + 2H20

My chemistry is very rusty - so I hope the formulae are right

All the best

Kevin