Thanks, Hank.  Very helpful observations.  The ecliptic north pole lies in
the curve of Draco's (The Serpent) neck.  From your explanation, it seems
that the line connecting the crescents of the moon should always point
approximately to that location, and this should be something easy to test
in the night sky.  Is there a way to use this information (perhaps the time
of year) to help refine finding south by the moon's crescent?  -Bill