This discussion has not included noting the capabilities of quadrants.  There are several stereographic quadrants that provide the solar azimuth for a date and solar altitude.   Among them are Gunter's quadrant (if azimuth curves are include), the Islamic quadrant based on a folded astrolabe and Sutton's quadrant which uses a southern projection.  Of the several, Sutton's quadrant is the easiest to use and the most precise for its size.

I am not aware of much in print about Sutton's quadrant other than the chapter in "The Astrolabe".  I can easily generate recreations if there is an interest/need.

Best regards,

Jim

James E. Morrison
janus.astrol...@verizon.net