  From: James E. Morrison
  To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
  Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:40 AM
  Subject: Re: Altitude dials as compasses

  This discussion has not included noting the capabilities of quadrants.  There
are several stereographic quadrants that provide the solar azimuth for a date
and solar altitude.   Among them are Gunter's quadrant (if azimuth curves are
include), the Islamic quadrant based on a folded astrolabe and Sutton's
quadrant which uses a southern projection.  Of the several, Sutton's quadrant
is the easiest to use and the most precise for its size.

  I am not aware of much in print about Sutton's quadrant other than the
chapter in "The Astrolabe".  I can easily generate recreations if there is an
interest/need.

  Best regards,

  Jim

  James E. Morrison