 From: James E. Morrison <janus.astrol...@verizon.net>
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Sent: Tuesday, 13 May 2014, 2:40
Subject: Re: Altitude dials as compasses

This discussion has not included noting the capabilities of quadrants.  There
are several stereographic quadrants that provide the solar azimuth for a date
and solar altitude.   Among them are Gunter's quadrant (if azimuth curves are
include), the Islamic quadrant based on a folded astrolabe and Sutton's
quadrant which uses a southern projection.  Of the several, Sutton's quadrant
is the easiest to use and the most precise for its size.

I am not aware of much in print about Sutton's quadrant other than the chapter
in "The Astrolabe".  I can easily generate recreations if there is an
interest/need.

Best regards,

Jim
 James E. Morrison