I agree with Ian's comments but note that, just as for longitude/latitude, the system on its own does not constitute a delivery address.

Just a few days ago I received a delivery from a courier who complained bitterly that the he'd had to call at several doors before finding me. The sender provided a building number but had not included the appartment number (the building has separate but adjacent entrances for each apartment and there's no directory of residents).

Luckily for the courier, there are only 4 units in my block. There is a 40 storey residential tower nearby with 300 or more apartments served by one main entrance. Because some surnames are relatively common, especially for predominant ethnicity of my neighbourhood, I'd guess that even knowing the receipient's name would not always be enough to identify the right appartment for sure.

As Ian stated, it is intended for places without road names or post codes.

Allowing mobile delivery points might complicate the system further. For the USA at least, there are mobile ZIP codes linked to military facilities, such as ships and encampments in war zones. Apparently there is even one civilian post office that is a converted tug boat. It pulls alongside moving cargo ships on Lake Erie, delivering and collecting mail.

Steve

On 2016-12-26 12:15 PM, Ian Maddocks wrote:
their main aim was to give accurate easy mapping to places without road names or post codes. Even our post codes are only accurate to 100 m or so but the situation is worse in less developed places. If you live in an over crowded place you can still give an accurate address really easily. If your delivery driver was using free open source map from Navmii (sp?) , formerly Open Street Map he should be able to find you to 3m.

This is their target market. They don't expect you to radio the coast guard with your coordinates in this format!

It's more accurate than a post code , and easy to remember compared to lat and long to the same accuracy.