Shanghai is at 31º N and London at 51º N. Shanghai's clock looks less inclined than London's!
Happy New Year

El 29/12/2016 a las 22:06, Ian Maddocks escribió:
hi folks

Here's your quick Christmas quiz - what is wrong with the sundial in the middle of the attached screengrab from Instagram #sundial?
It's the famous equatorial dial near Tower Bridge in London....

Answer below.....

The answer is that it's NOT actually the famous equatorial in London by Wendy Taylor but a copy in Shanghai, China.

I regularly trawl through Instagram #sundial (https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/sundial/)  looking for new dials we haven't recorded in the BSS Register.   Back in September I saw the dial as you see it in the screen grab.  "It's the dial by Tower Bridge", I thought, "been there, seen that" but something about the photo processing ("nice" HDR, ie not over-done to my tastes) made me click through.   "But hang on those aren't the warehouses on the south side of the Thames , they're skyscrapers, it's tagged Shanghai !"   To see the original posting click https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7UULOjxhs/?taken-by=gwctoo  , though I originally saw it 3 hours after it was posted when there were no comments.

I contacted Wendy Taylor via her website who confirmed it wasn't an official copy.  I managed to find its location and she started to work out what could be done about it.

Although they don't have StreetView in China there are some privately uploaded photospheres on Google Maps.    The dial can be seen on the banks of the Huangpu River in the following photosphere (yes it's all one link)     https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@31.2289389,121.5018597,3a,75.1y,125.54h,87.11t/data="">

Anyway I had forgotten about all it this but Wendy has just been in touch with the end to the story....   At the end of November the story was run in The Independent UK newspaper.    Second British artist accuses China of copying work after statue 'identical' to London sculpture spotted in Shanghai :   http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/china-copies-sculpture-british-wendy-taylor-timepiece-tower-bridge-london-shanghai-anish-kapoor-a7441076.html    then just four days later   Chinese authorities destroy Shanghai sculpture exposed as copy of British artist's iconic London work : http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/china-copy-art-sculpture-shanghai-london-wendy-taylor-timepiece-tower-bridge-sundial-destroyed-a7448326.html        It also was mentioned in the Shanghai Daily ‘Wonderful news’ for UK sculptor   http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/society/Wonderful-news-for-UK-sculptor/shdaily.shtml    and has been picked up by other media , see  https://www.google.co.uk/#q=wendy+taylor+shanghai+sundial

Wishing you all a Happy New Year

Ian Maddocks

Chester, UK
53°11'50"N  2°52'41"W